Monday, January 16, 2017

19 Years Old!

Hey everyone sorry I have been slacking on the blog post the past couple weeks! I hope everyone has been doing well back home! These past weeks have been pretty good! It has been bitter cold here the past couple weeks, you don't realize how much you miss car's when you are walking in weather less than 10 degrees! Something I hear so often out here when I get asked where I am from and just tell, them Nebraska they say "oh you are used to this weather." Well, I am used to the cold but I'm not used to walking in it 8 hours a day, haha!


There has been snow here for the past couple weeks, a couple of times its has came down out of nowhere and has been a pain to walk in, I ordered boots but it took a while for them to get here so needless to say each night I came home my feet were frozen and wet, which was not fun. 

Monday (the 9th) was a pretty good p-day we worked out, played some pool at our apartment, and then went to the mall and did some shopping. We had Zone Conference on Tuesday and it was a great learning experience, and we learned many new ways that we can find new people teach.
Zone Conference

This week we had the opportunity to do some service up st the Catholic Community Services in Ogden. This is a food pantry where people can come in and get food based on how many people are in there family. We helped them get food, talked to them, and then helped restock shelves. We did that on Thursday and Friday and it was a great experience to help serve people. 

Service Opportunities!
It's hard to believe but I turned 19 years old on Saturday. I want to thank all the people who wished me a happy birthday and made my day special. My companion worked with the sisters missionaries and surprised me, they came and decorated our apartment door and then got me some presents for my birthday. I got some gifts from my parents, many cards from family, and many messages from, friends. We went to Tony's Burgers for lunch which was great and then we played some basketball with a few nonmembers. Later that night the Peterson family got me a cupcake with a candle and a card and some gifts which was a great surprise!!! I am truly blessed with all the family and friends I have and thanks again for making it special! 

Birthday Decorations by the Sisters
Gifts from the Sisters!!
Birthday package from home
Birthday lunch at Tony's
Today we went and worked out, played some volleyball at a members home gym, and got our haircuts.

Roy Complex- where we work out and play basketball

On a spiritual thought I just wanted to share my short talk that I wrote for our Zone Conference. We were all supposed to write a talk based on scriptures our president gave us and write about what they mean/how it applies to me.


I chose to write my talk over 2 Nephi chapter 33 Verse 9. It says " I also have charity for the Gentiles. But behold, for none of these can I hope except they shall be reconciled unto Christ, and enter into the narrow gate, and walk in the strait path which leads to life, and continue in the path until the end of the day of probation."


I chose these this verse because this is what relates most to me at the moment while serving here in Roy. At the beginning of the verse it talks about having charity for the Gentiles. Charity is a Christlike attribute that I have studied a lot since I have been on my mission it is one thing that I try and do each day. But is is also one of the hardest things for me to do. Since being on my mission I knew it wasn't always going to be easy to help people come closer to Christ, and I was ready for that challenge but for me sometimes it has been hard to accept when people don't agree with what we are teaching them. But that is where the charity attribute comes into affect. As missionaries we want what's best for our brothers and sisters and when it's not what they want it's hard to not be a little upset, but inviting them, planting that seed, and loving them is the best thing we can do.


Throughout the verse it talks about entering into the narrow gate and walking on the straight path. It is so important that we do that and that we teach our investigators that because it is so easy to get off that path and with it being narrow, it's easy to get lost. Something that has been hard for me to understand is how someone who has experienced the gospel in their lives or served a mission can be lead away, but when I think about what's going on in the world today and the temptations we face I can see how hard Satan is working in our lives. That is why the last part of the verse is so important because it says we need to continue in the path until the end of the day.


It hasn't been until my mission that I finally have realized the importance of daily scripture reading, prayer, and opening our mouths. We as missionaries always invite and stress the importance of this to our investigators because it can bless their lives and help them stay in the straight and narrow.


I am grateful for the opportunities I have had so far on my mission, I'm grateful for the chance we get to each and everyday be in the scriptures and testify of Christ I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ amen.  




No comments:

Post a Comment